The Magento web APIs framework provides excellent advantages in communicating between integrators and developers with the Magento system.
- Supports REST(Representational State Transfer)
- Dual coverage functionality
- Supports SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)
Magento 2 Web APIs cover the same REST and SOAP to provide great extensibility in the framework.
Three types of authentication:
- Token authentication for mobile application
- Mobile applications authenticate using tokens.
- Administrators and customers are authenticated with login credentials.
- Now all the framework’s API checks all the calls that have special authorization to perform the request.
- The framework is currently based on the CRUD (create, read, update, delete) with the search model.
- All you need is a few XML lines to configure any Magento third-party service as a web API.
- Currently, the framework is based on the CRUD (create, read, update, delete) with the search model.
- At present, the System does not support webhooks in the framework.
- If your payload includes the stock_item and media_gallery_entries objects, the framework will also create an inventory where products are accommodated.
What one can do with the Magento Web APIs?
Magento Web APIs can be used to perform a wide variety of tasks aligned with the platform. For instance:
- Now you can build a shopping application. Maybe a conventional application that a mobile user downloads on a mobile device.
- It also enables creating an extensive app that staff uses on an outlet to help customers make purchases visually online.
- Enjoy integrating with Customer Relationship Management(CRM) backend system with popular CRM software like Salesforce.
- Xero-like ERP(Enterprise Resource Planning) can also be integrated with the backend.
How do I get started with Magento Web APIs?
In order to get started, you must register a web service on the Magento Admin platform. Therefore, follow the below steps to set up and enable Magento web services.
For token-based authentication
Create a web service by choosing on the Magento admin by:
- Go and choose System, then Permission.
- Click on All Users and move to Add New User.
Note: If you’re session-based authentication, then there is no need for creating a new user in the Admin
To create new integration in the Magento Admin, then:
- Click on the System, then Extensions
- Choose integration and select Add New Integration
Note: Make sure that you restricted the resources that can access the integration
Then use a REST or SOAP client to configure both authentication types.
This is how you can add-on the Magento 2 Web APIs will expose module with SOAP/XML.