In this article, I will show you How to manage Category Management in PrestaShop.
Categories are necessary, as they permit you to work with the equivalent objects group. It helps customers find their way through various details and helps to narrow their search when looking for a particular product. Categories can easily find customers and compare them (thanks to Wcomm’s product-comparison feature).
You need to create new category management in PrestaShop from the moment you have at least two products with equal properties. Products in a section should be comparable, if not identical. Keep this idea in mind when including new products and creating new categories.
You can select to not create any category, and all products can be set as a global type of “Home”. But customers cannot compare products.
You can decide that you are not interested in the comparative aspect and your segments can be created freely. In that case, you should disable the Comparison feature: Go to the Product Options page and place 0 for the “Product comparison” option.
When creating a product type, you should focus on one thing: the products of this section should compare their attributes (not their features). It can only be used by your customers, but it is a necessity for Wcomm’s product comparison feature.
How to manage Category Management in PrestaShop?
Categories are managed on the “Categories” page in the “Catalog” menu. This page shows a table with the existing categories, showing important information. To display subcategories, click the parent category or select “View” in the action menu.
By using the icon in the “displayed” column of the table, you can modify the red “x” tag by clicking on the icon of the green second-icon, the one you want to hide from the customer.
All categories are actually subcategories for the “Home” category. To edit the “Home” category (or any currently selected category), click the “Edit” button in the button bar when a table displaying the root types.
To create a new category (or a subdirectory of the existing categories), click on the “Add New” button from any sections
Translate your category in PrestaShop for better management!
Make sure to translate every field in each language that supports your shop. To do so, click the Language button next to the field, and select the language you want to edit the text.
Above all, you need to enter a set of public information:
Name: Give your list a name. Make it smart and narrow and choose your words wisely: Your customers trust it when you browse your shops.
- Displayed: Mark it as “displayed” (that is, whether your customers get it). For example, you may want to put off showing a new category to your customers because you are not fully satisfied with it.
- Parent type: This does not appear when creating root type. If you want to create a subdirectory that belongs to a category other than the home page, select the category that appears.
The form is the same when creating a root type or a sub-category. The only difference is that when you click on “Add new” in a subdivision, Wcomm recognizes that you want to create a sub-category and set the “parent type” option accordingly.
- Description: You have to fill in this field because it will be useful for you and your employees, but some themes will show it to your customers.
- Category Cover Image: Click “Add File” to upload an image from your computer that represents this category. This will appear on the category page.
- Category thumbnails: If the theme permits, the parent category shows a small image.
- Menu thumbnails: If the theme permits, it will appear as a small image representing the category thumbnail.
- The Meta title: When a customer makes a request, the title appears in search engines.
- Meta description: A presentation of your category in a few lines to capture a customer’s choice. It will appear in search results.
- Meta Keywords: Keywords you define for your site by search engines. If you include many things, you must specify the quotation mark, separated by commas and expressions.
- Friendly URL: It helps you to rewrite the addresses of your categories as you wish. For example, substitute of having an address such as
http://www.example.com/category.php?, you can change as
In this case, all you have to do is refer to the field “Friendly URL”, separated by curves in the “name-of-the-category “instead of the words you want to view.
- Group access: Restrict access to the type and its products to particular shoppers. To view these categories, your customers are from a user group. For more information, see the “Groups” page in the “Customers” menu.
- Root section: Only appears when the root type is created. This new type should be used as a new root section instead of “Home”. If so, check this option to apply.
The root category is very useful in multi-store mode. Imagine you have 3 stores with different or different products and categories: you may want to use another root section on each store.
If you do not want to have the same products in each store’s homepage section, the root category the “home” type of each store.
This way it is easy to allocate units in each store, and you can have different products in the home section.
Once you have finished building your section, we’re ready to save it and fill it with the products.
A new category will not automatically appear in your store’s menu. To display it, you need to edit the menu “top horizontal menu” module (when using the default theme), or you want to manage any menu with the option.
Navigation and editing category management in PrestaShop
The “Edit” button in the button bar will help to edit the parent categories of sub-categories that are currently displayed. This means you can edit the “Home” category by clicking on the “Edit” button when you see the main sub-categories.
You can click on any category of the table: it will open those categories and all its sub-categories will be shown. As a result, this will change the context of the interface: By clicking the “Edit” button, edit the current parent category, and clicking on the “Add new” button will open the category creation form with the “Parent Category” option place to the current parent category
Import and export types
Besides the “Add New” and “Edit” buttons, there are three buttons on the Button Bar:
- Export: In the CSV format, download lists of all types can help you.
- Import: “Advanced parameters> CSV Import” page opens with the expected type of data set as “Categories”. To learn more about importing CSV files, go to the “Understand the Advanced Parameters” episode. You will need your CSV file to follow this design
ID; Name; Description; Title; Shown;
3; iPods can now buy movies from iTunes Store and sync to your iPod, the whole world is your theater; 1; 1;
4; Accessories; Awesome accessories on your iPod; 2; 1;
5; Laptops; The latest Intel processor, a big hard drive, a lot of memory, and all-new features apply in one lane inches. New Mac Laptops are the desktop’s performance, power, and connectivity. Without a desk area; 3; 1
- The category identifier is the ID, not the name.
- Refresh list: Re-lists the list of categories with all the changes you’ve made.
More import options available on the “Advanced Parameters” menu “CSV Import” page.
Adding items to a section
To add a product to a category, you need to open the product structure page and go to the left side of its “Association” tab. This refers to what kind of products you can set up.
The “Home” category is a special type where you can promote products from any kind of products in the “Featured Products” camp. By default, you can only display up to 8 products on the homepage.
The “Featured Products” module depends on the “Featured Products on home page” module. If you want more (or fewer) products on the home page, configure this block (from the “Modules” menu from the “Modules” menu).
Note: You do not have to remove a product from its original section by putting it on the homepage. There can be several categories that require a product.
Having more queries on PrestaShop development? Click here.