Before jumping into the topic, have a note that: “Split database solution is available in Magento Commerce only“.
Magento Commerce provides several scalability advantages, with the ability to use three individual master databases for different functional areas of the Magento application.
Checkout, orders, and also product data will use a separate master database that we can optionally replicate. This separation scales independently load from website checkouts, order management activities, browsing websites, and merchandising activities, depending on our needs.
These changes offer considerable flexibility in how the database can be scaled.
Magento Commerce Cloud never supports this feature at this time.
Split database performance solution: Magento 2 Commerce
The split database provides the unified MySQL database connection to the Magento application. For any queries to the master databases, we follow the Command Query Responsibility Segregation database pattern.
This pattern smoothly handles the logic for routing the read and write queries to the relevant databases. Developers don’t need to know which configuration will be used and there will not be any separate read and write database connections.
If we need optional database replication, will get the following advantages:
- Data backup
- Data analysis will not affect the master database
MySQL databases replicate asynchronously, which means they do not need to be connected permanently to receive any updates from the master.
The following sketch shows how it works.
Magento Commerce uses three master databases and configurable more slave databases for any replication. Whereas the Magento Open Source uses only one master database. Magento Commerce has faster performance and better scalability because of its single interface for database connections.
Options for Database Configuration in Magento
Because of the unique way the split database performance solution in Magento commerce is designed, custom code and installed components will not do any of the following:
- Write directly to the database instead of using the Magento Commerce database interface
- Use Joins that affect the sales or any quote databases
- Use special foreign keys for the tables in the checkout, sales, or any main databases
Contact the developers to verify whether their components do any of the preceding. If so, choose only one of the following:
- Ask the developers to update their components.
- Use components as-is without the split database solution correctly.
- Remove any components so that you can use the split database solution.
This means you can either:
- Configure the split database solution before involving Magento in any production.
- It is advisable to configure split databases as early as possible after installing the Magento software.
- Manual configuration of the split database solution.
We can perform this task if we’ve already installed components or if Magento is in production already. (Need not update the production system; do the updates in the development system and synchronize all the changes after we’ve tested them.)
We must back up the additional two database instances manually. Magento backs up only the main database instance. The ‘magneto setup: backup –db command and the Admin options of Magento do not back up any additional tables.
Prerequisites to take split database Magento
The split database needs to set up three MySQL master databases on any host and all three databases on a separate server individually and so on. These are master databases, and they can be used as follows:
- One master database separately for checkout tables
- One master database for sales tables or Order Management System and
- The last One master database is for the remainder of the Magento 2 any application tables
We can optionally set up more slave databases that serve as load balancers with backups. This guide discusses how to set up the master databases only. We offer configuration samples and references to set up slave databases if you wish.
That’s how the Magento 2 split database solution acts. Now, you can easily streamline all features related to this innovation, making your ecommerce website faster and user experience better. For further information, contact us today for all your Magento development-related queries.